EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Special Education Coordinator
Special Education Coordinator
Director of Education
Driftpile Cree Nation (DCN) is a proud and culturally strong First Nation located between the towns of Slave Lake from the west, and High Prairie from the east, approximately 340 km northwest of Edmonton. The Nation is nestled on the south shore of Lesser Slave Lake. As the second-largest lake entirely within the Alberta boundaries Lesser Slave Lake is a stunning destination for birders and wildlife enthusiasts.
DCN is a signatory to Treaty 8 and a member of the Lesser Slave Lake Indian Council. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. As a dynamic and vibrant community, DCN strives to continue to develop with the support of our management, Chief and Council and from the contributions of our Nation members. We are dedicated to delivering services that continually improve the community through improvements in social programs and infrastructure projects.
Mihtatakaw Sipiy School is currently inviting applications to fill the Special Education Coordinator position. Mihtatakaw Sipiy School is located within Driftpile Cree Nation, amidst a beautiful setting surrounded by the Boreal Forest. The school serves Grades K to 9 with a full academic program. Unique features of the programming are its Cree language and cultural components. Outdoor culture camps are programmed into the school year.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for planning, developing, implementing and oversight of Individualized Educational Plans (IEP), based on the Alberta Education guidelines, for Mihtatakaw Sipiy School students in kindergarten through to grade twelve.
- Provide ongoing, one-to-one and/or small group learning support sessions for Grade 1 to 9 students with IEPs.
- Facilitate IEP team meetings and take part in parent/teacher conferences as needed during or after school hours.
- Work collaboratively and provide resources and support to other Learning Support team members, teachers, educational assistants, parents, administrators and staff.
- Write reports for IEP students twice or thrice per year.
- Attend regular meetings.
- Carry out classroom observations, assessments and recommendations for students identified through referral process.
- Attend weekly meetings with Learning Support teams.
- Collaborate with School Administration on Special Education budget, allocation of learning support resources at Mihtatakaw Sipiy School.
- Compile the data and complete the annual High-Cost Special Education Report and submit to ISC as per guidelines.
- Arrange consultations with assessments and service delivery teams.
- Reporting student progress to parents for students who are receiving direct service.
- Complying with government policies in reporting for students with special needs.
- Ensuring accurate reporting and report submission by school.
- Oversee the use of the Mihtatakaw Sipiy School Learning Centre and resources.
- Ensure that the IEP is filed in the Students’ Records.
- Providing IEP copies to respective parents/guardians.
- Attend professional development workshops and Open House events.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor of Education/Special Education
- Alberta Teaching or Special Education certificate or its equivalence
- Five or more years of teaching experience
- Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills
- Competency in identifying instructional approaches for the inclusion of diverse learners.
- Ability maintain confidentiality
- The ability to understand and speak Cree will be considered an asset
- Clear CPIC & IRC to be submitted with Resume
Closing Date: Until a suitable candidate is found
Send cover letter and resumes to: Driftpile Cree Nation
Sheila Collins, Human Resources
**Please be advised only suitable applicants will be notified**