EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Nurse in Charge - Permanent Full time
DEPARTMENT:Maggie Wellness Centre
The Nurse in Charge is responsible for a range of core nursing functions and services in Driftpile Cree Nation DCN, in program areas of community/public health, primary care and home care, through promotion and maintenance of the health of individuals and family groups in the community. The Nurse in Charge will focus on promoting health, preventing disease and injury, protecting community health as well as when required a focus on curative, urgent and emergent care, rehabilitation and supportive or palliative care. The Nurse in Charge will report to the DCN Health Director and provide professional guidance and assistance to DCN Management Team, community program leaders and other community health care team members in acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary for Driftpile to manage their community health programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages, plans, implements, delivers and evaluates community/public health, primary care and home care programs and services for a health care facility in Driftpile Cree Nation and ensures nursing care and practice standards are being implemented in the delivery of these programs and services.
- Reporting requirements, monthly updated reports for Public Health and Home Care services, Nurse in charge will be responsible for the collection, review and submission of monthly reports from all programs delivered under public health and home care programs to the Health Director of DCN.
- Provide guidance and support and training to DCN Public Health and Home Care staff ensuring proper documentation is entered into the appropriate EMR system and monitoring a timely entry of all charting notes.
- Provides professional support, leadership, mentoring, advice on policy, practice and programs and direct supervision to employed nurses and health care and administrative staff in a health care facility in Driftpile Cree Nation including assignment of duties and assessment of quality of work.
- Provides professional support, advice, assistance and consultation on all nursing matters to Driftpile Cree Nation leadership, Band-employed nurses, HCA’s, CHR’s and all other Public Health and Home Care staff and community members to build capacity.
- Applies and utilizes key nursing knowledge and critical thinking to choose options and to plan, implement and evaluate programs and interventions to address health issues, taking into account relevant evidence, legislation and regulations and policies.
- Collects, assesses, analyzes and applies information from various data sources to make evidence-informed decisions for nursing services, assessment of health needs, program planning, and priority setting for the DCN community with individuals, families, groups and Community Management leadership Team and interprets information for professional, non professional and community audiences
- Uses evidence and research to influence health policies, programs and practice and synthesize nursing and health knowledge from a broad range of theories, models and frameworks to address the health status of populations, inequities in health, determinants of health, strategies for health promotion, disease and injury prevention, health protection, case management, as well as the factors that influence the delivery and use of nursing and health services
- Advocates for public policy and services that promote, and protect the health and well-being of individuals, families, groups and community members.
- Involve individuals, families, groups and the community as active partners to take action to address health inequities and foster a self-management care approach for chronic conditions. Provide guidance, support and strategies for the Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative and LPN’s working with Chronic Disease management, while collecting and recording the active number of clients with Chronic conditions within DCN community providing community action initiatives to support and client care.
- Advocates for and uses culturally relevant and appropriate approaches when building relationships and providing nursing services
- Knowledgeable in the 6 key elements of the Framework for practice of Registered nurses in Canada, which promotes a common understanding of RN practice amongst nurses.
- Builds capacity, improves performance and enhances the quality of the working environment by sharing knowledge, expertise and experience with colleagues, students, DCN Management leadership Team and other members of the health team
- Leads and participates in collaborative, interdisciplinary and intersectoral partnerships to enhance the health of individuals, families, groups and populations the Driftpile Cree Nation community
- A BScN degree, RN, or dual RPN/RN designation
- Current First Aid and HCP CPR
- Active registration with CARNA and/or CRPNA in good standing
- Availability to work days and evenings
- Knowledgeable of Federal and Provincial health systems
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint, email and other communications programming
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a team member
- Experience in needs assessment and program planning
- Ability to understand and speak Cree will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of DCN community resources
- Knowledge of pertinent health issues affecting community
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Provide Criminal record check and Child Intervention Check
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License and clean drivers abstract
CLOSING DATE:Until a suitable candidate is found
Send cover letter & resumes to:
Driftpile Cree Nation
Sheila Collins, Human Resource Manager
** We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted **