EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Head Start Coordinator
Head Start Coordinator
Director of Social Development
The Head Start Coordinator (Coordinator) will report directly to the Director of Social Development for Driftpile Cree Nation (DCN). The coordinator will be responsible for planning and implementing a program to teach young children. They must ensure the development and safety of these children in accordance to relevant federal, provincial, territorial and municipal legislation and policies. The coordinator will be respectful of all children and parents and ensure that all equipment and facilities are clean, safe and well maintained.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
- Provide nutritious snacks and lunches.
- Provide adequate equipment and activities.
- Plan learning objectives for the children independently.
- Provide weekly and monthly activities, reports
- Provide and develop culturally appropriate programs and activities
- Ensure parents are kept up to date on their child’s development
- Ensure each child has/or is referred for immunizations, hearing tests, development assessments etc.
- Develop activities that provide math and literacy concepts.
- Establish policies and procedures including acceptable disciplinary policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with emergency procedures
- Work closely with other entities to ensure children’s health holistically
- Provide various experiences and activities for children including songs, games, stories, show and tell
- Build children’s self esteem
- Comfort children
- Establish routines and positive guidance
- Work with other entities and parents to assist with speech impairments (include a speech pathologist or speech therapy).
- Implement positive disciple when required
Qualifications: The Coordinator must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Child development and education theories and practices
- Safe and appropriate activities that fit into our cultural environment
legislation, policies, procedures, delivery and rules of the Driftpile First Nation
- Program Evaluations; Financial Management
- A clear understanding of legislation, policies and procedures to ensure that the head start program is run within its parameter
- Computer skills including the programs word and excel
- Effective communication skills both verbally and written
- Effective listening, organization and decision-making skills
- Analytical, decision and problem solve skills
- Ability to provide conflict resolution
- Ability to work independently
- Time and stress management
- Maintain a high standard of conduct
- Be able to build self-esteem while ensuring a safe and secure environment
The Coordinator must also possess the following:
- Level 3 in Early Child Development or equivalent.
- Experience working with children is an asset.
- Must have Standard First Aide -Level CPR/AED.
- Periodic travel is anticipated, access to a reliable vehicle, willing to work flexible hours
- A Valid Class 4 Driver’s License is recommended but not a must
- Fluency in Cree is an asset
- CPIC & IRC to be submitted with Resume
Closing Date: Midnight, April 20, 2022
Send cover letter and resumes to:
Driftpile Cree Nation
Sheila Collins, Human Resources
Questions may be forwarded to: Karen Cunningham, Social Development Director at email@example.com
**Please be advised only suitable applicants will be notified**