EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: CTS Shop Instruction Assistant
CTS Shop Instruction Assistant
Driftpile Cree Nation (DCN) is a proud and culturally strong First Nation located between the towns of Slave Lake from the west, and High Prairie from the east, approximately 340 km northwest of Edmonton. The Nation is nestled on the south shore of Lesser Slave Lake. As the second-largest lake entirely within the Alberta boundaries Lesser Slave Lake is a stunning destination for birders and wildlife enthusiasts.
DCN is a signatory to Treaty 8 and a member of the Lesser Slave Lake Indian Council. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. As a dynamic and vibrant community, DCN strives to continue to develop with the support of our management, Chief and Council and from the contributions of our Nation members. We are dedicated to delivering services that continually improve the community through improvements in social programs and infrastructure projects.
Mihtatakaw Sipiy School located within Driftpile Cree Nation, is currently looking to hire CTS Shop Instruction Assistant/School Maintenance worker for the 2022/23 School year. The school serves K-9 with a full academic program.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train and supervise students practical work sessions in the CTS shop
- Provide instruction to students through discussions, audio-visual presentations in the CTS shop and field studies
- Evaluate students’ work during CTS shop sessions
- Deliver instruction to students
- Maintain the inventory of the CTS shop
- Maintaining a safe, clean, and accessible shop environment
- Instruct and train users (students and staff) on the safe use of equipment in the CTS Shop
- Maintain the shop by engaging in regular maintenance, repair, replacement, and supply purchases
- Performs maintenance activities to meet safety requirements
- Communicates any maintenance deficiencies to the School Principal.
Key activities include general maintenance / handyman activities such as repairing door locks, changing light bulbs, minor heat pump/boiler maintenance and shoveling snow.
- Uses resources proactively to effectively and efficiently action a remedy to any site deficiencies within the school (in areas such as site cleanliness, signage, general grounds condition, landscaping, snow removal, general building condition) with attention to detail.
- Monitor building automation systems and fire alarm systems.
- Ensures compliance with legislated policies, procedures, practices and guidelines related to environmental, health and safety, and fire protection.
- May be required to work on-call/standby and emergency call-out as required.
- Monitors and maintains operation of mechanical equipment, heating plant and building systems (HVAC).
- Completes preventive maintenance program as assigned and keeps accurate record keeping.
- Maintains grounds and lawn care as necessary.
- Perform minor fixes such as repairing broken locks, filling gaps on walls etc.
- Check control panels and electrical wiring to identify issues
- Install appliances and equipment
- Conduct maintenance tasks such as replacing light bulbs
- Inspect and troubleshoot equipment and systems (e.g., ventilation)
- Check functionality of safety systems (e.g., fire alarm)
- Collaborate with workers and other professionals during renovations
- Report to School Principal for issues or any other assignments.
- Be the substitute custodian when regular ones are absent
- Journeyman credentials/ Skilled Trade Certificate
- At least seven years of work experience using hand and electrical tools/machines
- Provide Clean Criminal record check and Child Welfare Intervention Check
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to read technical manuals and drawings
- Ability to concentrate on multiple problems/tasks at once
JOB TYPES: Full-time, Contract
CLOSING DATE: open until a suitable candidate is found
Send cover letter & resumes to:
Driftpile Cree Nation
Sheila Collins, Human Resource Office
** Please be advised only suitable applicants will be notified **